Travel info

The starting city this year for the Pan-Am 2019 will be Oaxaca, a large colonial city south of Mexico City.  From there the race will stop for the night in Veracruz, Mexico City,  Morelia, Queretaro, Guanajuato, and Zacatecas before ending in Durango.  Oaxaca is a two day trip from the border, crossing at Laredo, Texas.   After the race, Durango is about 540 miles from Laredo.  But El Paso (the crossing at Santa Teresa/Jeronimo outside of Juarez) is closer and safer for those trucks headed back to California.

The Chihuahua Express always starts and ends at the Sheraton Soberano Hotel in the city of Chihuahua, which is 240 miles from El Paso and 145 miles from Presido, Texas.  If you sign up for CARRERAS DRIVER with Gerie Bledsoe (, you will receive information about the two convoys that leave these two towns, normally two days before the event begins.  If you are interested in Chi-X, you may also sign up for EXPRESS DRIVER.  The next ChiX has been scheduled for April 23-23, 2020, registration April 22-23.


All vehicles with foreign plates entering the interior of Mexico must have a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) on them, sometimes called a Tourist Permit.  The basic rule is: a foreign visitor may bring only one vehicle into Mexico for a maximum period of six months.  Thus, one of your two vehicles (race car or tow truck) must be titled in the name of another member of your travel party.   The trailer goes with the truck, as one unit on one permit, so both of those titles should be in the same person's name.  If your vehicle is leased or financed, you must have written permission from the bank to bring it into Mexico.  If it belongs to a company, you must have a official letter giving the driver permission to take the vehicle into Mexico, even if the driver owns the company.  Proof of insurance is not required at the border, but you need it from www.bajabound,com.  A husband and wife, with tourist visas, may import two vehicles.  Some Mexican border stations require that the name of the importer be on the “face” or front of the title or registration card. In other border stations, it may be possible to sign over the title on the back to another person.

It takes an average of one hour to get your personal tourist visa/card and vehicle permits at the border. Think DMV.  These are the three big steps in the process at the border:

1. Obtain your tourist card (FMM visa) at the Immigration (Migracion) Office at the Mexican border station.  Show your passport, fill out the visa (tourist card) form, and have it stamped.  At some border stations it is now necessary to pay for your visa ($22) at the bank office, Banjercito, before obtaining your TIP, if you are planning to stay in Mexico for longer than a week, like for the Pan-Am.  Note:  Tourist visas and TIPs are normally issued for 180 days, unless you indicate on your application that you will be in the interior of Mexico for less than a week.

2. Once you get your visa, step over to the photocopy booth to have copies of all your original documents made—passport, car title or registration card, and your new tourist card. (Make sure you have the tag numbers of the vehicles with you, if the numbers are not on the title or registration.)  Also the credit card used to purchase the permits must be in the name of the person obtaining the TIP, or he can also pay in U.S. dollars.

3. Stroll down the hall to the “Banjercito” window (it looks like a bank window, because it is) to get the Tourist Import Permits (TIP) and windshield stickers for your vehicles.  There is usually a line. 

Hand over all the originals and copies of your documents to the Banjercito clerk and smile.  You need not say anything, as the clerks know what to do.  Give her your passport,  tourist visa/card, vehicle title or registration, and credit card, and one copy of each, except your credit card.  After punching your info into her computer, she will print an official-looking form and ask you to sign it on the back.   This form has a hologram sticker attached to it.  The clerk will show how to begin to remove it.  This sticker  goes on the inside of your windshield behind the rear view mirror.  Make sure the VIN number on the permit is correct before you leave the Banjercito window.  Your credit card will be charged for the permit, plus a $200-$400 deposit (based on the age of your vehicle) that is refundable when you leave Mexico and cancel the permit officially at the border before leaving Mexico.

Save all the documents they give you and keep them in the tow truck.  Do not lose the official document, as you will need it to exit the country and cancel your permit.   The permits may also be checked by Federal Police, Customs Officials, or the Mexican Army along the way.  

You may also obtain the TIP via the Internet for your tow truck and trailer, or race car made after 1983. To use the Internet, learn how to disable your pop-up blocker in your browser, clear your cookies and temp files.  Then go to and click on "tramites."   Click the English version.  You will need your passport, vehicle title or registration card, and credit card at hand.  The first step in the process is obtaining clearance to enter Mexico.  That takes about five minutes on another site, and then you must return to the Banjercito site to finish buying the permit.  

Please note: the different sources for TIPs sometimes interpret the rules and regulations differently. Some border stations will not issue TIPs for 2500 series SUV and pickups. Some will not issue a TIP for a panel truck.

You can also obtain a TIP at some Mexican Consulates, like L.A., San Bernardino, Sacramento, Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, and other cities in Southwestern states.  If you go to a consulate, you should first get the preliminary permission to enter Mexico described above.  If you do not complete that step before going to a consulate, then you must go to another office there to get the permission.  Normally, that step takes only 5 minutes and costs nothing, if no one is in line. Beginning in 2019 you must fill out the forms for a permit via internet and then make an appointment via internet with the Banjercito office in each consulate. Some will still accept walk-in clients.

Remember where you got your car stickers when you crossed the border, because you will return to this place before you leave Mexico to have the stickers removed.  Do not go across the bridge into the USA without having the stickers removed and getting a receipt.  At most border crossing there is a roadside booths near the Mexican border station where the TIP can be canceled and the window sticker removed.  Do not remove the sticker until the attendant asks you to do it. (It is not necessary, however, to exit Mexico at the same city.)  In Laredo go back to the building where you got your visa and TIP.  There's a booth outside where you can cancel the TIPS.  Also remember to turn in your visa when you leave Mexico.

The cash deposit on your vehicles is collected in cash or on your credit card.  To get a refund and be able to bring a car into Mexico next year, you must cancel the permit properly at the border before leaving Mexico and surrender the sticker or you will lose your deposit and will not be allowed to obtain a TIP for seven years.

For the Pan-Am, going across the border in Nuevo Laredo is highly recommended because the people there know the event, and they will usually bend over backwards to get our cars and trucks across.  For the Express the recommended border crossings are Santa Teresa, N.M (near El Paso, TX) and Ojingaga, across from Presidio, TX.  For the Pan-Am. the Columbia Bridge, which is 17 miles northwest of Laredo recommended  for long, car-hauling trailers.  Beginning in 2016, the Pan-Am Office now provides assistance in crossing the border, and for the convoy to the starting city one week before the event begins.

If you do not have a title to your race car, and have a huge tow truck, plus lots of tires and spare parts, or have all the vehicles in one name or the company’s name, you may want to import your vehicles by going through the Mexican Federation of Auto Sports (known as  FEMADAC) and/or hiring a licensed Mexican customs broker.  Do not confuse this process with the TIP process described above.  These two processes are very different.  You should use one or the other, not both.  

Here’s the FEMADAC process:

1.  Register for the race on the official Pan-Am web site, and then download and fill out the application for the FEMADAC vehicle permits and your racing license  from  Express mail these applications to the FMAD office in Mexico City with the required payment.  You need only apply, but not pay for the racing license, at this point.  Their address is on the application.

2. Secure the services of a Mexican customs broker in Laredo or another port-of-entry.  (The North American Coordinator has some recommendations, or you may use the broker recommended by the Organizers.)

3. FEMADAC will verify that you have entered the race, and will send the approved permits to the Mexican customs broker who you have selected.  They will also send you a copy.

4. You make an appointment to enter Mexico with the broker, and go to the his office on the U.S. side of the border at the appointed time, usually Tuesday-Thursday.

5. The broker’s staff member jumps in your truck, takes you across the border (over the commercial bridge in Laredo), and handles the transaction.

6.  After you are in Mexico, the broker’s staff person hands you the paper work, jumps out of your truck, and you are on your way.  The truck driver does not need a tourist visa, the truck's document ("pedimento") is all he/she needs.  (This process may differ from broker to broker and port-of-entry.)

The FEMADAC permit costs around $150.  You must also apply for the FMAD rally/racing license issued by the same organization around $300).  See the Entry page for information on contacting FMAD, or go to

The services of a licensed Mexican customs broker will cost between $500 and $2000, because it is a negotiable fee for service and the government's fee.  You must also provide the broker a list (manifest) of all the spare parts, extra tires and equipment (like welders), and their (yard sale) value that you are taking into Mexico—and that you will return to the USA when the race is over.  They may require that it be translated into Spanish.

If you use a Mexican customs broker, you must stop at his/her office on the Mexican side on the way back to the USA to reverse the process above, or he will forfeit his bond that guarantees the return of your vehicles and spare parts.  He will not be happy if you fail to stop and cancel your pedimento.

Note:  It is now possible now to avoid the FEMADAC permit process and the expense of a Mexican customs agent by using a ATA Carnet.  You can obtain more information about the ATA Carnet at  It is not necessary to use a Mexican Customs Agent with a ATA Carnet, which reduces the expense significantly.


For the Chi-X, you may make hotel reservations at the Sheraton Soberano, the HQ hotel, though the race organizer, or you may do it at another hotel nearby on line.  Rooms at the Sheraton hotel (single or double) are $150 per night.  Most racers stay five nights (Wednesday-Monday).  Racers now pay the hotel directly for their rooms when they check-in or check-out.  The paddock is in the hotel's large parking lot and garage.

When you register for the Pan-Am, a hotel reservation for a "double room" (two beds) is automatically made in the name of the listed driver of the race car for the eight nights of the race (Thursday thru Thursday nights).  This room is paid by the entry fee.  If you plan to arrive the starting city a few days early, as most do, it will cost you more.   The Carrera office charges around $160 for each extra night in or along the way, taxes included, or $1280 for a extra room during the eight-day event for your service crew.  Rooms in luxury hotels cost extra.  These costs may change without notice.

PEMEX gas stations are plentiful on most major highways in Mexico. Other brands, like BP and Shell, are now selling fuel. Most stations carry non-leaded 87 octane regular (green pump handle) and non-leaded MTB 92 octane premium (red pump handle).  Quality is usually OK.  Diesel fuel is also generally available (black pump handle), usually at an island away from the gasoline pumps. 

There are small restaurants along the roads and at the larger PEMEX stations throughout most of Mexico.  If the place looks clean, then it's probably OK.   Just eat hot food and drink from a can or bottle.  A case of bottled water and a roll of TP in your truck will come in handy.  

Never ever brings guns, ammo, or drugs into Mexico.  If any of these are detected, you will go to jail, and Mexican jails are not nice places.  There is a lot of violence in Mexico now because of the wars among the drug cartels.  However, it is highly unlikely that these races will run into this type of trouble.

The Mexican people that you meet along the way, especially the children, will be friendly and curious about you and your vehicles.   Everyone will try to be helpful if you are having a problem.  However, if you spend the night at a motel, it's best to park your rig inside a locked or guarded compound.  Most of the better motels have one. And remember the most important rule: never drive in Mexico at night unless absolutely necessary.

And yes, getting there is half the fun!  It is always an adventure!

Viva Rally Mexico! 

Gerie Bledsoe
Chi-X North American Coordinator or 1/2019